Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Journey for a Diagnosis

My Journey for a Diagnosis
Barbara Campanaro

            In early 2006 I started to experience severe pain in my back along my spine.   Each day the pain became more severe, especially at bedtime.   Sleep was impossible –even after taking various pain pills.  I went from doctor to doctor and could not get a definite diagnosis. One said I had a spinal condition; another said it was a gynecological problem. Yet another one said I needed to get a series of epidermal injections to clear up an “unknown condition.”
            On many nights, my husband Richard had to rush me to the emergency room of Florida Hospital so that they could “put me out.”  It was horrible! Nothing worked! We tried everything including a chiropractor and a Chinese doctor of acupuncture.  But no one could determine the right diagnosis nor rid me of the pain.  We were at “wits end.”  One day, my husband heard about a different doctor so we made an appointment.  We showed up on the day of my appointment only to hear that the doctor had an emergency and could not see us.  We were told there was a “fill in” doctor who could examine me.  At first, I was reluctant and angry, but my husband convinced me to give the man a try. 
            After some preliminary talk about my problem, Dr. Simon Isaac said he would examine me only if we agreed to let him do it his way.  We were a bit puzzled, but we agreed.  He said I needed to strip down to my underwear.  During the examination, he stood behind me and began moving his hands down my body - starting at my head and moving very slowly down the rest of my body.  During this time my husband sat facing me and could see the doctor's face as he proceeded with the examination. Suddenly Dr. Isaac's hands stopped when he reached the section of my body near my navel.   Instantly my husband noticed a change in doctor's facial expression.  Right away the doctor exclaimed, "YOU HAVE A MASS!"  He told me to get dressed and go directly to the emergency room as he handed me a note with a diagnosis.   
            Shortly later we arrived at the South Seminole Hospital Emergency Room.  At first the ER doctor said the diagnosis was incorrect.   However, after my husband exchanged some “words” with him, they ran some tests.  As a result, they did find a mass and transported me to Orlando Health Downtown, so that I could be examined by a vascular surgeon as well as a general surgeon.   To make a long story short – Yes, I did have two malignant cancerous masses and indeed the diagnosis by Dr. Isaac was right.  
            Immediately after my surgery while I was still in recovery, my husband and my children gave Dr. Isaac a call to thank him and tell him I had come through the surgery just fine.  He responded, "I know. " My husband was astonished.  How could he have known??

            Later Richard tried calling Dr. Isaac again using the same number he had given him.  This time he got the message, "This number is no longer in service."  Our search continued.   Although we could find other "Dr. Simon Isaac's" in our search both locally and online, none was this Dr. Simon Isaac.  This one mysteriously disappeared.  Even though we are still continuing our search, I wonder if this special "fill in" doctor could have been an angel.  Regardless, my husband and I have no doubt that God had His hand in my healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment