Thursday, January 2, 2014

God Shows Up

God Shows Up
Gordon Sims
            While motorcycling down twisty mountain roads near Franklin, North Carolina, my transmission started slipping. I nursed it for a few miles until I got to a main road.  After pulling into a church parking lot, I got out my plethora of tools and opened the primary chain access cover. I could tell something was seriously wrong.  When I tried to restart the bike, the engine would not connect to the transmission.   
            Practicing my spiritual principals, I said the SERENITY PRAYER:
                        God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
   Then I asked GOD for guidance.
            Looking around I noticed a gentleman mowing the grounds of the churchyard.  I also noticed there was a trailer for his mower attached to his new Dodge Ram pickup truck. I walked over to him and explained my problem.   He introduced himself as Landy and offered to "trailer" me into Franklin.  He even called a local motorcycle shop to advise them we were “coming in.”
            During the 10 mile ride into town, Landy, a fit and alert 78 year old man, explained that he was helping his church with the grounds maintenance, because the grounds keeper had cancer. We continued our conversation talking about life:  how short it can be and how God is in our lives.
            Once we arrived at the motorcycle repair shop, I quickly unloaded my bike, thanked Landy, and offered to pay him for his efforts. Smiling, he refused my offer and wished me good luck before driving off.
            I explained to Justin, the owner of the repair shop, the problems I was having with my bike. Justin said, "It sounds like the compensator bolt came loose." He moved my bike into his shop and put it up on the lift.   He quickly removed the cover and confirmed the compensator bolt had backed out.  Repairs were made in 45 minutes and only cost $100.00.   I was ready to RIDE once again! 
            Just before I left Justin asked me if Landy took any money for the tow. I explained that I tried, but Landy refused. Justin laughed and said, "He is a multi-millionaire!"
            This whole problem had only taken two hours out of my day.  How awesome it is to realize the miracles that GOD provided me that day.  And I was so thankful for the people that he put into my life.  However, I decided not to chance any further problems and headed straight back to Florida cutting my trip short by two days.
                        My whole excursion covered more than 3,000 miles through Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.  I was really glad to be within 20 miles of home. Suddenly as I was getting off the Florida Turnpike, I saw a Harley-Davidson motorcycle crashed into the guard rail.  I stopped and looked for the riders.  About three hundred feet away I saw a female sitting alone in the grass. I ran as fast as I could to check on her condition. She had some road rash and complained of her wrist hurting.  I asked her if she was riding with anyone. She said, "Yes!"   Then I spied a man about 50 feet away.  He was lying face down under the guard rail.  I went to check on the downed rider.  Being the first person to arrive at the scene, I checked the man’s condition.  Another person arrived to assist. He called 911 while I checked the victim's pulse. He was alive.  JUST BARELY.   His body was broken and bleeding beyond description. I held his hand letting him know that his passenger was OK.  Then I said a prayer.  I let him know that he is not alone; GOD was here with us! Some time passed and then the First Responders started to arrive. I cleared out of the way and made my way back to the female passenger. I let her know that the paramedics were here and that her male riding friend knew she was OK.  I slowly walked back to my bike.

            My life was forever changed!  I knew that God had been with me in the mountains and had sent me to be with this dying man.  I experienced His care and witnessed His provision. How confident I am now knowing:  For where two or three are gathered together in His name, there He is in the midst of them.  (Matthew 18:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment