Friday, May 11, 2012

To God Be the Glory


Peggy Schulke
As I reflect on special, personal times in my life when God has been there for me, three occurrences come to mind right away.  Times when there was just no doubt in my mind of God’s presence.  I just knew!
             The first occurrence took place when I was vacationing with a friend on a small island in the Virgin Islands.  Across from the small town where we stayed (Georgetown) was a smaller, uninhabited island, accessible only by boat.  My friend suggested we go scuba diving.  I had only done that once before.  However, in all bravado, I said O.K., and that I knew what to do. 
We suited up and started out. We came upon a large group of fish that looked like a huge boulder.  When it quickly moved, it startled me.  I gasped in surprise and dropped my mouthpiece.  I knew enough to grab the mouthpiece, blow out, and I’d be able to breath again.  But in my panic, all I could think to do was get to the surface for air. 
I was frantically struggling… each breath of air I got from the tank would roll me over and under the water again.  I truly was thinking, “This is it…I’m drowning.”  Just then a man took my backpack harness, lifted me out of the water, and sat me down on the beach.  All he said was, “You’ll be O.K. now,” and walked away. 
All I remember was that he was tall, blonde, and quite good-looking.  (What a thought as he had just saved me from drowning!)  I looked and looked for this person throughout the rest of our vacation time there, and never saw him again.  I have to believe he was my guardian angel.  God is SO good!
            The second occurrence was when my husband, three children and I were sailing from St. Petersburg, Florida to New Zealand in our 44-foot sailboat.  We were tied up in to the pier in Tahiti with several other sailboats.  My husband had to return to Florida to take care of business; the children and I lived on the boat.  The only way to get from our boat to the pier was a plank about 10 to12 feet long. 
Our youngest child Carolyn (nine at the time) got sick and was running a dangerously high temperature.  Having heard awful reports about how inadequate the hospital was there, I was at a loss as to what to do.  I knew a woman about three boats away was a nurse.  It was late evening and Carolyn was asleep so I quickly went to the other boat for help. 
As we started back to our boat, I saw Carolyn on the pier!  I couldn’t believe she had managed to walk across that narrow plank!  If she had fallen off, I don’t know whether we would have found her.  In my heart I know that God’s hand got her across that plank safely.  Carolyn’s fever broke later that night. A few days she was feeling better--thanks be to God!
            The third occurrence was one morning when I had just gotten up and was making my coffee.  My chest felt heavy, it was difficult to get a breath, and I felt light-headed like I might faint.  It was such a scary feeling! I sat down, thinking it would get better,
but it didn’t.  Then I began thinking, “Is this a heart attack? Should I call 911? What to do?”.  I had the presence of mind to unlock the front door (just in case) and took an aspirin.  When I sat down again, I was gasping for breath …terrified.  My thinking now was, “Oh Lord, I’m so scared! I don’t know what to do. Should I call 911? Help me!”
Without a thought of my own, I reached for the phone and dialed 911.  God is so good!  In a very short time the paramedics arrived, tried to calm me, and got me ready to transport to the hospital. After a few tests, they found I had several blood clots affecting both lungs, and started treatment.  Over and over I was told “It’s a good thing you called 911 – this could have been fatal.”  So…to God the glory!  I’m so glad I asked for help and am in awe, realizing He was there for me.

 “Thank you, God!” seems such a small thing to say for these three miracles in my life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment