Thursday, May 17, 2012

Big George and the Good Shepherd


Elizabeth Gardner
Big George, my dad, was a very loving person who knew no strangers.  This is an incident in time, that I feel should be shared.
In late May 1971, my husband Bob and I went to Clearwater, Florida, where he had business appointments.  We were supposed to have gone to visit my parents in Durham, North Carolina, that weekend, but were unable to make it.
When we returned to our Longwood home on June 1, I felt that something was not quite right. Bob had gone outside to do yard work, and I was in the house unpacking from our trip.  Suddenly I ran out into the yard and began talking rapidly to him.  I said, “Bob, I feel that, for some reason, we are going to go through deep waters.” After going back inside, this unsettled feeling was still with me.
That night after supper I developed a terrible headache - - the worst one I have ever had.  I had to sit in semi-darkness as my eyes were so sensitive to light.  About 9:00 o’clock while still sitting in the darkness of our small living room, I somehow began moving into this dark tunnel with great speed.  Quickly I approached the end of the tunnel, saw a very bright light, and came to an abrupt halt.  At that very moment, my headache was gone, and I was aware of being back in my chair.  Just then the telephone rang, and my mother gave me the sad news that my beloved dad had just died.
After the shock of our loss, I realized that as close as I was to my dad, I was allowed to travel with him along the path he was
on, but I was stopped.  Dad traveled on to meet Jesus and entered the larger life.
As sad as it was, Jesus was with us both in this earthly separation.  “He is with us always even to the end of the ages.”
While attending my dad’s funeral in the church where I had gone as a child, I looked up at the gorgeous Good Shepherd altar window.  I saw my dad standing there in a beautiful blue jacket right next to Jesus and the sheep, smiling his wonderful sweet smile at me.  
I was comforted seeing him with Jesus, the Great Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment