Friday, July 31, 2015

Gone to the Dogs

Gone to the Dogs

Dave Morrison
       
I grew up in a strong Christian family in Miami, Florida. As a cradle Episcopalian, I was nurtured in my faith through the ministry of Father Newt Wilbur and the closely knit congregation of the Church of St. Faith. My mom ensured that my siblings and I regularly attended worship services and participated in parish functions. As a result of my parents' prayers and the guidance of my church family, I came to know Jesus Christ as my personal savior at a young age and served as an acolyte through high school.

Throughout my college years, prayer and church attendance remained important to me. However, after college I gradually drifted away from God, as I discovered exciting challenges and opportunities in the business world. I thought I could manage my life on my own.

Through determination and hard work, I became a successful landscaper with a large clientele. However, the great recession dealt a deathblow to my business. I was financially stressed and spiritually dry. During these hard times, Robin, a close Christian friend, prayed for me. Yet I still relied upon my own strength to find my way both spiritually and professionally. About this time Robin, knowing my life-long love of dogs, suggested that I begin a new career that would involve them. She thought having a new career that tapped into my passion for dogs would be good for me. Robin was right. Although I have always loved dogs, I never thought of them being a part of my work life.

Despite Robin's suggestion, I did not immediately follow her advice. I pursued another business venture outside of Florida, but it also went nowhere. I returned to Florida even more discouraged. In the midst of my depression I asked Kathy, another Christian friend, to pray for me. Unbeknownst to me, Kathy had already been praying for me. She, too, had also come to the same conclusion as Robin - I should be working with dogs. She prayed with me; then suggested I go to God alone in prayer for direction in my life. I found a small nearby chapel where I knelt in prayer and poured out my heart to God. During my prayer I felt God's unconditional love wash over me as I turned my life completely over to him.

After further thought and prayer, and with Kathy and Robin's support, I opened Must Love Dogs, a doggy daycare and boarding facility, in 2014. Initially, the business was slow; we only had a few dogs on most days. We were barely keeping our doors open. I questioned whether I had really heard God about opening this business. Many times I awoke in the middle of the night, worried about the finances. However, as I prayed and turned my fears over to God, I would feel peace come over me, and I would fall asleep again. Nevertheless, I soon reached the point that I could not continue to pay my mortgage and keep Must Love Dogs open. My choice was to sell my house or sell my business. Since I was so sure that God led me to Must Love Dogs, I was prepared to sell my house and sleep with the dogs. It was at this time that I shared my circumstances with another Christian friend, Karen.

As God's timing would have it, this was the very time that the pastor of Karen's church preached on the importance of sharing our abundance with fellow Christians who are part of our extended family. Karen told her husband about the sermon and mentioned my circumstances. Karen's husband was so moved by the message that he decided to gift me an amount of money that not only permitted me to keep my home, but also allowed me to improve my business facility.



I was stunned and humbled by God's grace and provision for me through Christian friends. Their faith and obedience has blessed me beyond anything I ever had hoped for. Must Love Dogs is now growing rapidly; God has also brought me a dedicated staff that loves the dogs as I do. I have found joy in my relationship with the Lord, and with the work He has given me to do. I am grateful to God and to those He has chosen to bless me.

No comments:

Post a Comment