Friday, July 3, 2015

Aunt Lottie

Aunt Lottie

Charlotte Everbach

When I was seven years old, my father died. I had no siblings so that left just my mother and me. However, my mother's strong Christian faith gave me confidence to face this tragedy.

When I was 16, my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. At this time I was told that she would probably not live to see me graduate from high school. Thankfully, she was able to attend; it was just a week later that she passed away. Now I was alone - no other family member lived in our small town in Georgia. However, everybody in this town knew everybody else, and my mother had wonderful friends. This "village" of people came together to help me until arrangements for my permanent care could be made.

I did have an aunt who was a widow and worked as a secretary to a lawyer in Clearwater, Florida. My Aunt Lottie willingly opened her door and her heart to me. I went to live with her. Aunt Lottie was a remarkable woman! Not only was she a strong, independent businesswoman, but she was also a committed Christian who shared her beliefs with me. She would let everybody know just how much her faith meant to her. For the rest of her life she served as my mentor. With her guidance I was able to formulate rules and principles which guided my life.

Since my becoming an adult, people have asked me how it felt to be alone at 16. I can only tell them that God put people in my life to take care of me. Consequently, I never really felt alone. Chief among my caregivers was Aunt Lottie. She was truly a Godsend! I am so grateful that He put her into my life, and I have no doubt that she was meant to be a role model for me.

Now when I think back over my life, I know that God had a plan for Aunt Lottie and for me. We were blessed by our relationship which brought love and happiness into each of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment