Friday, July 17, 2015

Christmas Miracle

Christmas Miracle

Sue Van Bernum  
        
My mom had been very ill with a lung disease called Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. This disease was causing her lungs to close and her breathing to be almost impossible. My mom suffered with these conditions for about a year. She needed to be on oxygen 100% of the time and at the highest level of 10! Many people were praying on her behalf.

In July of 2014 my dad called to tell my brother and me that my mom was gravely ill, and he didn’t know how much time she had to live. We drove from Florida to South Carolina as soon as we could - the Fourth of July weekend. That Fourth of July is one that I will never forget.

Normal oxygen levels should be at 80-93%. However, my mom’s oxygen levels were continuously dropping - 70%...60%...50%. Her fingers were blue; she was struggling to breathe. It was terrible!

On Friday, the Fourth of July, my dad, a family friend Ann, my brother and I just sat around wondering how much longer my mom would suffer. Since it was the Fourth of July, we decided it would be good for all of us, including my mom, to watch the Macy’s fireworks from New York on the television. Then my dad and I went outside to see the fireworks display being put on by his community. As beautiful as it was, we really couldn’t enjoy the moment.

Suddenly, from the house across the street ...a man appeared. He approached my dad and asked, “Hi, Ed, how is Lottie doing?” To my dad's surprise this man was my mom’s cardiologist who just happened to be visiting family across the street. My dad answered, “Not well. However, she would love to see you." When he walked into her room, my mom's eyes lit up; she even tried to sit up. She was amazed to see her cardiologist “making a house call" - and especially on this holiday evening. They talked about the disease and how uncomfortable it was for her. He explained what was occurring to my mom. I truly believe it somehow made her feel better. I call him “an angel” and truly believe their meeting at this particular time was meant to be. God's timing!

My brother and I returned to Florida. From that month on, my mom’s condition steadily improved. Her oxygen level went up... 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and then into the 90’s. In November my dad called and said, “Mom’s oxygen level is 93!” It was a miracle!

A couple of weeks later, Dad sent a picture of mom in their pool. He was able to engineer a long oxygen hose that would allow my mom to get into the pool and still be attached to the portable oxygen machine. She wanted to get into the pool so badly, and my dad made it happen. She was so happy and feeling so much better!

My mom's very strong desire was to be with us for Christmas. She shopped, cooked, wrapped gifts and even decorated the house like she always did. She even made her Polish Pierogies. It was a Christmas we will all never forget! She didn’t feel well, but somehow we had another Christmas together. It was special!

My mom passed away January 12, 2015. She made it through Christmas which made all of us so VERY grateful! My mom and dad were together for over 60 years, and my dad was there for her all of this time. He is so wonderful! I thank God for Dad's patience, dedication and love for my mom. I know this Christmas miracle happened due to prayer, to an angel in the form of a doctor, and to my dad's devotion to Mom. Although I miss her, I know that she is not suffering, and she's in a better place - resting peacefully in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment