Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blessed Assurance


Jim Sutton
As I approached my 70th birthday, I began to have thoughts about the fact that my life was entering its latter stages.  I started to become much more aware of my mortality.  I didn’t consciously dwell on my new awareness, but the issue did remain in the back of my mind. 

One Sunday I was listening to Rev'd Sarah’s sermon at the 10:30 am service.  I was looking up at the altar and the cross on the wall behind it when a stream of bright light appeared.  The light didn’t come directly at me but it seemed to go off toward the left side of the altar area.  At the same time I saw the light, I felt a warm and reassuring sensation.  The light and warmth lasted only a moment.  I didn’t know what to make of this experience immediately, but after thinking about this incident for a few days I realized that God was telling me it was going to be OK.

I had read about signs from the Lord, and through Joy’s work on Magnify the Living Lord, I was aware of similar events that had occurred to others in the Good Shepherd family.  However, I always remained a bit skeptical about such things.  Now it has happened to me!  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment