Sunday, May 5, 2013

God's Guidance


Barbara Masters
I have always had a sincere belief in God’s existence but, probably because of my early religious up-bringing, saw Him as being distant, powerful, demanding obedience, and far-removed from the day-to-day interaction with me or others.  This ideology caused me to be skeptical when someone would talk of God’s help or healing.   I wanted to embrace this belief in His involvement and compassion, but the concept was foreign to me. It is a path of acceptance I still travel.  However, God sent an angel to help me on this journey. 

The first instance in which I began to truly believe in God's interaction in our lives happened about 8 years ago.
That was when my husband, Hal, and I divorced.  My daughter (then aged 18) and my son (then aged 22) had continued to have a close relationship and regular contact with their dad who lived nearby. 

One weekend Brian and his dad went fishing.  As part of their idle conversations Hal talked in detail about his financial holdings and future plans as well as his funeral preferences.  That following week Hal died from a massive heart attack.  He had just turned 47 years old and was thought to have been in good health.

I know God’s angel was with Hal and my son in the boat that day.  I believe it was God’s way of saying that something horrific was going to be happening soon, but here is the solace I can give you.  While Hal’s sudden death was so numbing and sorrowful, I remember the immense peace it brought my son knowing the exact memorial/burial service he wanted. 

Awareness of his dad’s financial situation and wishes was also a blessing in the following months as Brian was involved in all the legal procedures that follow a loved one’s death.  Since Brian knew the financial plans his father was expecting to carry out, Brian worked out a solution to accomplish them. It was a costly decision, but both children agreed it was the right thing to do.  It was a wonderfully unselfish way to honor their father’s wishes. Had the fishing trip conversation not occurred, that particular situation would have been very difficult for the children to resolve.
I was so very grateful that Hal was led to share with Brian that day.  What a great gift Hal, through God’s caring, was able to give his children! 

This was the first time I ever truly believed in God’s active participation.  This experience then allowed me to give credence to others’ stories of Divine intervention. This was a huge leap of faith for me as I began to acknowledge God’s presence in everyday life.

Since that time I see His hand in my life in so many ways and keep reminding myself that God is guiding me so I just need to sit back and pay attention.  Giving Him control releases my burden.  I have to wonder at His patience as I grab the reins back time after time. 
Now, as I stumble through life, I can only imagine what the angels must be saying...
“It’s her again.  You help her."
"No, I just went.  It’s your turn.
"Aw, geez."

Knowing Him as a loving and caring God and not a detached, aloof Being is such a relief.  I now allow Him to provide me with much-needed strength and peace. I say allow because He has always been there, waiting for me to accept His grace and glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment