Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Last Good-Bye


Barbara Rawls
A week had passed since my husband's memorial service. Family members and friends had returned home. Elisa, my youngest child, was at work, and I was alone in the house. It was very quiet as I sat down before a stack of bills. "Where do I begin," I wondered. Most of the bills from Bill’s hospital stay needed to be sorted and submitted to the insurance company for payment. As I sat reflecting on the events of the past month, I felt very alone. Losing my husband so quickly and without warning hadn’t given me any time to prepare for this big change…there would certainly be plenty of time now.

The house was silent, and I brought my attention back to the task at hand. The scent of bay rum suddenly filled my nostrils, and I felt another presence in the room. I turned around and a feeling of warmth and peace swept over me. There was no visible sign, but I knew that Bill was comforting me; no one else I knew wore bay rum aftershave lotion.

It was Bill’s last good-bye. I thank God for this comforting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment