Friday, May 13, 2011

The Brother’s Return


By Jim Sutton
            My dad was dying from prostate cancer and did not have long to live.  My younger brother, who my family had not seen or heard from for at least ten years, called me at work one day.  I was totally surprised.  After some catching up, he told me that he had had a dream that he interpreted to mean that our father was seriously ill.  He had no way of knowing about Dad’s illness otherwise.  The only explanation for my brother’s sense that Dad was ill was that God had touched him. 
            My brother and father had never really gotten along.  After my brother came back from the Vietnam War, the relationship between them grew worse.  This hostility eventually resulted in my brother leaving town and the family, with the intention of having nothing to do with us... forever.  Letters to him went unanswered and birthday checks (including one from our grandmother) came back un-cashed.
            As a result of God’s intervention, my brother returned home to visit, during which time he and my father reconciled.  After my Father’s death a few months later, my brother joined us again at Dad’s memorial service.  Since that time, he has visited us several times, and he and I remain in touch.  What a blessing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment