Friday, September 30, 2016

In His Light

In His Light
by Joan Schultz

            Have you ever experienced a moment when you felt you were in a special place at a special time that had a divine impact on you?  That kind of experience recently happened to me. 
            I arrived very early for the noontime Ash Wednesday service.  After my husband dropped me off in the parking area, I made my slow journey to the chapel using my walker.  On this day it was cold and windy - no one else was going in my direction yet.  The sun was being reflected off of the big, old refurbished church bell now mounted on the grounds nearby.  Shadows of leaves moved as though they were dancing - also caught my attention.
            Finally I reached my favorite spot along my walk.  It was at the start of the long, wooden ramp leading up to the chapel entrance.  Here, in between the wooden vertical supports for the railing, are wooden slats with cutouts in them which form a cross.  On this particular day and at this particular time the subdued sunlight coming through the overcast clouds was being projected through this cutout of the cross - forming a shadow on the horizontal floorboards of the ramp.  On this day I was going to have to actually step on the reflection of the cross as I made my ascent up the ramp.   Halfway up the ramp there was another such cutout and another shadow of a cross being cast in my path.  I had never experienced stepping on the crosses in the many other times I had made this walk.  This was a special happening. 
            As I continued up the ramp to the entrance I had to make a turn which made me rise above the part of the ramp I had just been on.  When I looked down on the shadows I had just seen, they now were at such angles that they took on the appearance of arrows.  Suddenly I noticed these arrows were pointing towards the two stations of the cross which were mounted outside the ramp on posts.  I was enthralled with the beauty of my surroundings - enjoying the solitude.
             All these visual images were powerful for me.  Shadows, reflections, glimmers of light - no people - only my sensing the strong presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment