Friday, September 23, 2016

Hope in What is Not Seen

Hope in What is Not Seen
David Brust

            In April of 2015 I was diagnosed with a rare condition --myelodyplastic syndrome.  This infirmity causes the bone marrow to become so thick with fibrosis (scarring) that it can no longer produce blood cells.  My doctor told me without a bone marrow transplant my life expectancy would be about three months.  With the transplant he said chances for my recovery would be in the 10 percent category.  I decided to have the transplant. 
            For someone who had been healthy and energetic all of his life I found myself thrust into an infirmity that came as quite a surprise!  It was at this point in my life that I came to realize how a person whose life is in jeopardy has a new motivation to turn to God - wanting to walk very close to Him.  My wife and I had been Christians for more than 30 years, so turning to God now was not going to be anything new to us.  Our focus was on scripture that pertained to health and healing, and we were definitely praying concerning the condition I was experiencing.  As a result, I developed an aggressively positive attitude about my being healed.           
            The transplant took place in June.  During the following seven months I had been going in for bi-weekly bone marrow tests.  Regardless of my condition during the months of treatment, my faith continued to give me confidence that I was going to be all right! 
            In January 2016 when I went in to see my doctor, his words were: "a miracle has taken place."  He told me that the most recent test results showed the bone marrow had completely healed itself of all scarring and was producing blood cells in a normal manner.  In other words, there were no blasts (i.e. cancer) cells present.
            Without taking away any of my appreciation for my doctor and the rest of his medical team, I felt compelled to share with him my testimony.  I relayed to him how God had revealed to me back in April that I was healed.  It was as though He had spoken to me in such a way as to provide me with an understanding in my heart and in my mind that He had already ordained my healing.  Since that time I had been professing, "I am healed, and I am getting better and better every day in every way."  On this day God gave confirmation to this testimony!
            Another point of interest has to do with the donor of the stem cells for my transplant.  Remembering him, I sent him an appreciation note.  The rules for engagement between donor and recipient is ... we would not be introduced to each other until one year after the transplant.  Therefore, we had to use some discretion in what we shared with each other.  We could not know each other's names or locations.  My note extended to him my gratitude for his willingness to be a donor - volunteering to help a stranger recover from an infirmity.  I took a chance and also informed him how marvelously well the transplant has gone.  I knew the letter would be monitored by the medical team prior to being forwarded.  I was told everything in my letter went as written except I had signed my first name at the end.  That was removed.
            I received a response from my donor letting me know how much my note meant to him.  I also found out he was in his last semester of college, graduation coming up soon.  He also expressed an interest in our being able to meet after the one year silence period.  I am looking forward to that with some apprehension knowing how emotional this event will be for me.  He signed his note, "your blood brother."

            At this writing it has been 217 days since my transplant.  I am thankful for all the prayers offered for me by so many.  It is definitely a great day for my praising God for his healing touch and for the connections He has made in my life!  I certainly want to thank Him for revealing to me in advance that I was healed before I even began my treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment