Friday, June 16, 2017

His Divine Order


His Divine Order
Faye Hobbs

            Recently I suffered from a bad case of the flu and could not seem to recover my energy or my will. My body was depleted; my mind and spirit were depressed. I began to wonder why God was keeping me alive. I felt no value or purpose in my life at this time.  I prayed and asked others to pray for me.  Finally I turned it over to God to show me the path he would have me take.
            Then... came the call from a dear, sweet friend of 50 years asking me to please come visit her. Jean wasn't feeling well and needed my support and love. I really wondered how I would have the energy or the money to honor this request. But as the week went on, I felt more inclined to make the decision to go - even though I was still not totally well.  I found myself looking up "cheap tickets" online and found one available.  I called her daughter and asked if the time of my arrival would work. She said it would so I booked the ticket on my credit card. Another friend offered to take me to the airport at 5:30 in the morning.  God was taking care of all the details.
            I arrived in Atlanta to find that my friend had been in the emergency room all evening and was still there with an obstruction in her intestines. When Jean was finally able to get into a hospital room, we were able to have some privacy.  Knowing so well my background in Hospice, she told me about her wishes with clarity and conviction. I listened, and we prayed for God's guidance.
            With her daughter and me present, my friend also talked with her doctors and informed them that she had decided to stop all dialysis treatments and other interventions that would prolong her life. She had been struggling for 19 years with ailments and pain. She had undergone 11 years of dialysis treatments - three days a week. She was exhausted and ready to let go. That night she had the most peaceful sleep she'd had in years. She stopped struggling to hold on and being brave for everyone. She knew it would not be easy for her or her family.  However, they all agreed it was for the best, as she would only get worse as the interventions continued.
            I spoke with my friend and her family about what needed to be done, and we notified her family to come as soon as possible. I was scheduled to fly out on Friday morning, but when I got to the airport, I realized my backpack containing my wallet and ID was missing. I couldn't get on the plane! I asked the Uber driver to take me back to the hospital to see if someone had turned it in. Although I was given little hope of it being found, I felt it was God's way of letting me know - I was still needed here; it wasn't time to leave yet. So I trusted this was a part of the Divine Appointment that was to unfold. 
            Jean was so relieved to see me return and to be there with her loving family. It lightened my heart to sit there watching her great granddaughters - ages two and four - lovingly curled up with her and her grandson holding her hand.  The tears of joy and sadness flowed from all.
            That night Jean was given a shot of morphine to help with the pain.  An ambulance arrived at 10 pm to transport her to the Hospice facility where she wanted to go.  Since her family had other obligations that evening, I went with her - sitting in the front with my arms full of gorgeous lilies as she rode in the back sound asleep. All during the rest of night I sat vigilantly listening out for any special needs she might have.  At dawn she awoke fully conscious and alert. Alone, the two of us sang very quietly together, "I come to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses." We knew we would meet again someday. Later that morning her daughter and son-in-law arrived with pots of tulips in bloom which brought a smile to her heart and eyes! It was spring coming in February. Jean was always at peace in a garden.
            That afternoon I was to catch another plane home. Before leaving, I told my friend how much I have loved her.  Soon after my leaving she went into a coma.  Other family members flew in from different parts of the country as well as many others who came from so many places and from all walks of life! My friend remained in a coma for a week.  During this time her daughter told me that she and her siblings spent time bonding with each other.   This would have made Jean so happy!
                        [Oh, yes, my backpack was found. A lady visiting her sick husband at the hospital had kept it safely for me.  The airline put me on a flight on Saturday at no charge to fly home where another friend came and picked me up!]
            When I returned home, I saw a beautiful single rose blooming on my bush.  I cut it and brought it into the house.  It remained just as beautiful until the day Jean died.
            I am convinced that my part in all this was another Divine Assignment.  God had plans for me - I just had to listen and follow them with trust and gratitude.  I have been entrusted with such assignments many times before in my life. Though I was so very depressed before this all happened, I now felt hopeful and joyful.  My faith reaffirmed!
            Thanks be to God for his Divine Order! 


No comments:

Post a Comment