Friday, June 23, 2017

In My Distress


In My Distress
Joy Sutton
            The intracoastal waterway runs along the east coast of Florida.  This waterway is separated from the Atlantic Ocean by barrier islands.  In-between these islands are inlets, channels of water that join the waterway to the ocean.  When the ocean tides are changing, the narrow channel ways have very strong, swift currents of water flowing through them.   Knowing this will help you understand what I am about to tell you.
       One Sunday, some 35 years ago, I was with my husband, sister and brother-in-law fishing in the Sebastian Inlet.  Our boat was anchored.  My brother-in-law Victor was fishing off the front of the boat.  I don't like to fish so I was just enjoying myself in the back of the boat.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Victor drop something in the water.  Shortly after, I saw it go floating in the water by me.  I foolishly decided to jump into the water to retrieve it which was not a smart thing to do as I am not at all the athletic type!  And I am certainly not a good swimmer!  I immediately became aware that the current was extremely strong as I began being pulled away from the boat.  Being such a weak swimmer, I could sense the trouble I was in.  At that same moment a voice within began to coach me, "Don't panic. Stay calm.  You have been taught how to tread water.  Do that and calmly ask them to throw you a life preserver."  I did just as I was instructed.  No one in the boat really thought I was in any real danger since my request was so calm.  Again the voice within said, "Remain calm.  Ask again."   I did as I was told.  Again - no response from those in the boat.  I asked a third time.  This time my brother-in-law realized the situation I was in as I was drifting further and further from the boat.  He told the others, "She is not fooling!  She needs help!"  Tying a rope around his waist and getting a life preserver, he dove in and swam to get me. 
            My husband and sister raised the boat anchor and came to get us both.

            I know it was God's still, quiet voice that kept me from panicking.  Otherwise, I could have so easily gone under.  If I had tried to swim towards the boat, I would have panicked, since as I mentioned before, I cannot swim well at all.  I am so very thankful that my brother-in-law finally sensed my need for help in spite of hearing the calmness in my voice which God had directed me to use.  Had I not heard God's instructions, I have no doubt that I would not be writing this today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment