Friday, August 5, 2016

Answered Prayers

Answered Prayers
Deborah Brittain

            Have you ever had one of those years when something challenging constantly happens - either with your health, finances, or concerning your loved ones?
            2015 was one of those years for me from start to finish.  During this time I was comforted and supported by the prayers offered for my family and me by the many prayer warriors in our congregation at Good Shepherd.  Every time a new challenge came up, I requested prayers for my issues and EVERY TIME my prayers were answered above and beyond my expectations.  I know I would not have made it through without the healing power of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
            In January of 2015 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Fortunately it was benign, but something needed to be done for two reasons.  It was causing increased deafness in my right ear, and it could also potentially cause facial nerve pain and/or paralysis on the right side of my face if left untreated.  The doctor originally wanted to do brain surgery to remove it.  However, since I already have balance issues due to a neuromuscular condition (technically called Charcot Marie Tooth Disease/Peroneal Muscular Atrophy) and the surgery could potentially result in more instability for me, surgery would be a terrible option. 
            My first answer to prayer came when Reverend Sarah, the priest at Good Shepherd who knew someone who had been through exactly the same thing, suggested that I seek out radiation treatment instead.  I did. The gamma knife type of radiation I received was directed specifically at the tumor - shrinking it. Hopefully, it has also “killed it” and not affected anything else around it. So far, my results have been very good.  I have MRI’s every 6 months.  Currently, it appears that the tumor is dying in the center and everything is going exactly as hoped and prayed for. Thank you, Lord Jesus!
            A few months later, I had my third colonoscopy in six years.  My past colonoscopies had always revealed problems: polyps and possible Crohns Disease or colitis.  The doctor had wanted me to have a colonoscopy a few years ago, but I couldn’t afford it due to my $10,000 deductible.  However, because of the treatment for my tumor, I met that deductible in 2015 and could finally afford a colonoscopy .  For the first time, the doctor had positive news for me.  He said everything was fine and there was no need for another one for 10 years.  A second answer to prayer.  Praise God!
            In the next few months, due to uncertainties about other health concerns, I decided to get my affairs in order and hire a lawyer to prepare my will.  I was referred to a lawyer who, due to my circumstances, prepared my will and other pertinent documents, pro bono.  Unbelievable! Praise the Lord once again. What an absolute blessing!  I could never have afforded to get this taken care of on my own.  Third answer to prayer!
            Because of all that was going on with my health and finances, I received a message from God to “sell my house and move in with my mother.”  From mid- August till November my family, friends, and I totally cleaned out my house and got it on the market. I would have never dreamed of making that change without receiving that message.  Although I felt content and happy, I’m sure that below the surface, my financial responsibilities were beginning to take their toll.
            Moving in with my mother was an unexpected blessing and has been a positive experience for both of us.  In spite of our health challenges, getting to spend quality time with my 93-year-old mother is a blessing beyond belief.  Fourth answer to prayer!
            My brother-in-law helped me to move.  As a result, he ended up having some health issues and went to the doctor.  As it turned out, that was not the actual cause of his health problems.  It was discovered that he had bladder cancer.  Because he went to the doctor for the wrong reason, his cancer was discovered relatively early and a full recovery is expected.  He had surgery and each exam since is showing him cancer free.  Fifth answer to prayer!
            To finish out 2015, in the last few weeks of December I had a mammogram.  A suspicious area was found. I had to have an ultrasound, and finally a biopsy.  The great news is... the biopsy was benign, and all these procedures were still covered under my $10K deductible that had already been met earlier in the year.   Sixth answer to prayer!

            God has stepped in at every twist, turn, and challenge in the last year, as he has always done in my life.  He has lead me through it all and taken me places I never expected to go.  I praise Him constantly for all of my blessings. I appreciate all the intercessory prayers being added to my own.  All glory, honor and praise to our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment